Monday, November 17, 2008

The Bath


Oh how I love a good bath.  
As often as I can, I take them long and hot.
Lots of lavender, ginger, body scrub, inflatable pillows, bubbles, candles, a good book.
I'll stay there until the water is cold, if there is time.

It's interesting to me just how different the motivation for bathtime is for kids.
They love a good bath just as much as I do.  

HOWEVER...their idea of a good time is lots of toys and noise and splashes all around...screaming and squirting and bath paint on the porcelain.  And then the last hurrah when someone flips on the shower head and it thrills the bigs and freaks the littles.  Oh joy!
It's hilarious.  And in my mind there was nothing relaxing or soothing about it.  Or was there?

They're probably wondering why I make bathtime so boring and dull.  In their little heads, are they thinking that this is the fate of the bath?  A most sacred event of fun must finally surrender to a sleepy ritual?

The other night my two year old was still awake at 10:00pm.  She must have taken the looooong nap that day (I can't really remember).  But she was there and I was ready to wind it down and take a bath.  So I run the water all nice and steamy, light my candles, and grab my book.  I was thinking she would just play with my makeup or keep flushing the toilet for sport while I enjoyed "my time."  Oh no.  Not ever.

Little Violet saw what I was doing, laying there all quiet and sinking in deep, and she ran to the other bathroom.  She brought back the bucket of bathtub toys  and started throwing them in on top of me.  "Toys, mommy."  She brought me the kid bubble bath and said, "Bubba, mommy?"  Then she turned the water on cold and poured the soap into my area creating "bubbas."  Then she took a paintbrush from her toy bucket and started brushing my hair with it...top to bottom, front to back, side to side.  Then she proceeded to dip the brush into the soap and started painting my body with it.  By this point, I was fully in.  She had me at "toys?"  

The life and energy that is inside of these little people is crazy.  So necessary.  

The next time I get ready for a bath...I'll have a decision to make.  I might just choose toys. 


No comments: